Jump to Navigation

Los Angeles Immigration Law Blog

What is the Secure Communities Program?

Secure Communities Program is a name that has been mentioned often lately due to recent controversy surrounding it. Some people support it and believe it to be a good program while others argue that it perpetuates stereotyping and makes life more difficult for immigrants. But what is the Secure Communities Program?

The Secure Communities Program is a program run by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They have stated that its purpose is to carry out the goals of ICE as efficiently as possible. According to ICE, their main goal is to protect the community that it serves. In this case, that community would be the registered citizens of the country.  The Secure Communities Program has a connection with the FBI which is set up in order to help them quickly identify criminal immigrants using fingerprint matches. Secure Communities shares its fingerprints with the FBI after arresting or booking an immigrant into custody. The FBI will automatically send the DHS fingerprints to see if there is a match in the immigration database. If there is, then ICE will prioritize the removal of that immigrant due to their possible increased danger as a criminal.

California’s unique method of handling immigration

While a good deal of negative press has been garnered by states that have been cracking down on immigrants, other states are improving the lives of immigrants. In fact, immigration reform efforts in California have led to a unique set-up in which the immigrant community can integrate rather than be deported.

Due in part to the slow speed at which immigration reform is happening on a national level, states like California have begun to take the matter into their own hands. For example, over 12 laws have been passed since 2001 in California having to deal with immigration reform. Each law passed is meant to make life easier for immigrants and to allow them to integrate into society better. For example, in-state tuition is determined by the number of years a person has spent in K-12 education in the state. It is not based on whether or not a potential student is a registered citizen.

Shackled immigrant miscarriages

There is great debate in Los Angeles centered on the living conditions that detained immigrants currently face. Setting aside the main argument regarding whether immigrants should be detained at all, many people are in agreement with the idea that immigrants sometimes face poor conditions in detention.

This is highlighted in a recent case involving the miscarriage of a detainee. This case is still currently undergoing investigation by immigration officials. According to various reports, one 24 year old immigrant from Mexico was taken to a doctor and given a pregnancy test. This was after she experienced health problems. The test turned out positive. After the test had already been given, she was put in full shackles when taken to the hospital. In accordance with detention policy, pregnant detainees are not to be restrained with the exception of extreme cases. This means that unless they are a flight risk or danger, they should not be restrained.

Innocent until proven guilty: also for immigrants

If you have been charged with a crime while in the U.S. without legal registration, you may be frightened of what the future could hold for you. Here at Ronzio & Associates, we understand that criminal charges can be difficult for you to face without fully understanding the U.S. legal system. We aim to help you.

The first thing to understand is the notion of innocence until guilt is proven. This means that until you are proven guilty of the crime you have been accused of, you will be assumed innocent. Of course, with a margin left for human error, there is always the chance that an unfair ruling may be made for some reason. But if that is the case, you should be able to fight back against your sentencing with the fact that you were not given a fair trial.

Lawsuit filed for sake of immigrant children and mothers

In Los Angeles, there is a battle raging regarding immigration. When it comes to facing immigration detention, many people are standing up for the rights of those who do not have a strong voice.

Immigrant rights advocates are suing in order to help protect a number of families who cannot speak for themselves. The advocates are stating that the incarceration of the many women and children at family detention centers violates the settlement of Flores vs. Meese. This settlement, now 18 years old, states that immigrant children should be released from detainment. If releasing is not feasible, then they must be kept in the least restrictive environment possible. The argument here is that these family immigration centers do not qualify as the least restrictive environments.

Living and working in the U.S. like you want

If you are looking into becoming a naturalized citizen of the U.S., it is likely because you wish to live here permanently. This means that you would also like to legally be able to work in the U.S., which cannot be done if you are not a legal permanent resident of the country.

So what can you do if you want to start working and living full-time in the U.S.? There are many different options that you can look into. You may also be qualified to apply for naturalization. For example, if you have a parent who was born in the U.S., you can acquire citizenship through relation to them. If one of your parents was naturalized, it is possible that you could also acquire citizenship through their naturalization.

Immigrants waiting for citizenship may now access healthcare

Immigrants in California have some good news coming their way. While dealing with potential changes to U.S. immigration law can be a long and tiring process, one thing is currently on its way to change. The access that immigrants have to health care could soon be widening.

Whether an immigrant is undocumented or not, they could soon have access to a type of healthcare program that offers the same sort of benefits that Medi-Cal offers. The original plan was initially to allow immigrants to sign up for Medi-Cal directly. However, the Senate only passed the bill forward after several large amendments were made to it. As it stands now, immigrants would be allowed to register with a separate healthcare program that is similar to Medi-Cal.

The importance of knowing your rights as an immigrant

Facing detainment can be a scary experience for anyone. Whether you or one of your loved ones has been detained, you may fear for the possibility of deportation as well. After all, detainment can sometimes come with the threat of potential deportation if you have no documentation.

However, you and your loved ones have rights even if you are not documented as a citizen of the U.S. This means that you do not have to sit down and take the chance of being deported without a fight. It is certainly true that some people work to find ways around your rights in order to start the deportation process. You must therefore be prepared to confront them within your legal means.

What is the Immigration and Nationality Act?

Dealing with the immigration system in the U.S. can be difficult. It is a complex field to navigate with many different terms, definitions, and laws to parse through. However, it is necessary to have at least a basic understanding of the immigration system if one wishes to go about obtaining citizenship or residency.

For example, one act that should be known and understood is the Immigration and Nationality Act, which is the basis of current immigration law. The Department of Homeland Security explains that it has changed a number of times since its creation in 1952. However, it still acts as the backbone behind the current policies and decisions that are made. Likewise, it was the first time that all of the laws that had governed immigration in the U.S. came into one single location.

What to expect when seeking asylum in the U.S.

There are many different reasons for a person to seek asylum. They might be coming from a dangerous situation. They could require the protection of the country they are seeking asylum with. Generally speaking, a person will either need to have suffered from persecution already or fear persecution to a large degree to obtain asylum.

There is a process that must be gone through to properly obtain asylum. In all cases of people seeking asylum, there must be a valid reason to grant asylum. A person must fear persecution due to their religion, political opinion, nationality, race, or their position as a member in a social group. Generally speaking, there are no deviations from these reasons.

Send Us Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Visit Our Immigration & Naturalization Law Website Contact Information

Ronzio & Associates

3250 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 2010
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Telephone: 1-866-441-1458
Facsimile: 1-213-384-0974
E-Mail An Attorney
Maps & Directions
En Español - Spanish